Being home without educational work to do would give of the idea that I would have a lot more time to update this, unfortunately this isn’t the case. I have fallen out of the habit of doing a blog update once every week or two, which in turn makes it even more difficult to get back into the swing of things. This is me (again) trying to make up for lack of updates/posts.
What have I been doing with my life lately I hear no one asking… Well i’ll tell you, since my last post which seems like lightyears ago my brother has started to do drum covers, which I have helped record then edit into some sort of viewable visual for people to watch on youtube. I thought about doing this for a while and the only reason why was because he is like a human metronome and is rather quite good at hitting the old tubs. This would (in theory) get his name out there, and just maybe get him some work. We have filmed and recorded 5 covers so far, one of which i’m having problems with and the other is about to get edited. By doing these videos I have also got to practise recording his drum kit and array of cymbals, which in turn helps me better understand specific mic techniques and placements and their accompanying sounds on each particular drum.
Here is a link to my youtube playlist with the covers he has done so far. Check them out if you are into that sorta thing.
I have also got involved with a friend who makes movies. H e had approached me a while back and asked if I could do a little sound design. I enjoy doing this sort of thing as it allows me to get rather creative and explore different sounds and plug-ins I have. I will include some pics I got of things i recorded pre film shoot so i could mess with them and see what I could come up with. So I have access to two different timpani sound which i’m not totally convinced by so as a desperate attempt to try and add to or create my own I recorded and sampled both my brothers kick drums with several microphones in different environments and also recorded and sampled a couple of his bigger floor toms, again with several microphones. Once chopped and cut down to the right length I brought them all into a new session and started messing with EQs, Compressors, Distortion plug-ins, Bitcrushers. You name it i probably tried it. After coming up some interesting sounds, I added some big reverbs to them and pitch shifted and EQ’d their reverb bus to create an even darker atmosphere. I then recorded and sampled a lot of different objects around my house and else where including a kettle boiling, my xbox fan, cutlery clashing of each other. These examples are to name but a few. However after making some sounds and using them in the short film I decided that as I won’t get to really listen to these sounds again in a different way i thought about arranging them in some sort of listenable fashion that really “showed off” some of the sounds i made. Below is what I came up with, bare in mind this arrangement was done in less than an hour as i was in a rush to go to the cinema.
Here is the final edited short film that has been up for a couple of days now
My plans in the up and coming weeks/months are to help with location recording and sound design of a couple more short films as well as trying to edit audio and footage of a new drum cover each week. Oh and also enjoy a relaxing christmas as well. For now im enjoying a paid week off work and am about to watch some films with a big bag of millions (the sweets, unfortunately).